Skip to main content

Pressure

Yo! peeps. How're y'all doing this fine morning?

Have you ever wondered about us human beings and how we put a lot of pressure on ourselves(consciously and unconsciously) to be better, like some celeb, like our contemporaries, like our parents, like anything we get into our minds?



When I finished school in 2011, my name wasn't included in the graduating list for my set and as such, I didn't graduate with my mates even though I didn't have any carry over. This also meant that I got to serve a year later than my classmates. That one year was the most traumatising and depressing year of my entire life. I lost a lot of weight and slipped into depression at some point. By the time I went to serve, my mates were already working in different fabulous places and I kept watching them and feeling small and bad that I am not like them.

Fast forward to 3 years after service, I'm jisting with one of the friends I assumed was working in a fabulous place and he told me the job was in fact a contract job and he's been at it since NYSC, it doesn't pay much and can be frustrating. Meanwhile, this particular friend is the one I was looking at from the beginning and feeling inadequate.

Like a month ago, I was going through the recent updates on my BBM and saw the chorus of the song below on his dp, I read it like 5 times and I just had to go and look for it.

Many times, we let the world define who we should be, how we should dress, how we should behave, who we should marry, etc. We unwittingly work everyday to live up to their expectations.

Lord knows I haven't grown out of this comparison thing yet. I still find myself struggling with comparison and what the world would think about some things but I know its not right and the only opinion that matters is God's opinion. I hope we all come to that realisation and the pressure we put on ourselves to be someone or something other than that which we should be will melt away.

Please enjoy the video and I hope it makes a lot of sense to you.


Jonathan McReynolds - Pressure


I, I can't even turn on my phone

Without being reminded of the lie
That I am alone and broken, unsuccessful
I, I can't always talk to my friends
'Cause they've got expectations
That I may or may not be living up to
I really need to rid myself


Of the pressure, pressure, pressure
To be someone else that the world has made
Jesus take from me
All the pressure, pressure, pressure
To be someone that you did not create


Help me be me
And only see you
Let me decrease
And glorify you


I, I thought my intentions were good
Just act like a Christian should
And hope someone watching would approve
And be inspired
But you're not feeling my show
Then how far could I go
Before all of my accomplishment
Go down in fire


Just cause of
Of the pressure, pressure, pressure
To be someone else that the church has made
Jesus take from me
All the pressure, pressure, pressure
To be someone that you did not create


I just wanna live
I just wanna live for you
Nobody else, but you




Have a fabulous day.

Toodles!

Comments

  1. Really insightful post, we sometimes live up to other people's expectations and mirror our lives after them. Everything happens for a reason I believe and we shouldn't compare ourselves to others. Those are beautiful lyrics indeed. Thanks for the sweet reminder and for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank's for stopping by Blogoratti.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmm....i do have a similar problem. .i guess i compare my self with others a lot. i am trying to stop.its not a healthy lifestyle. funny enough, people who see me seem to think i have the perfect life and want to be more like me.hmmmm.. this reminds me of the 'grass is never greener on the other side'.comparison is a thief of joy and i hope to stop soon..


    www.thatghlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! Amazing! Amazing!! Bubba If I told you that you wrote this post for me would you believe?! If i told you i have been in a box of pressure from within me all week would you think i was lying?! if i told you i was drowning deep within me for the past 3 days would you think I was exaggerating!?! mehn baby mi.. This post is mine.. and i dunno why you put it up.. But thank you.. Thank you sooo much Bubba... GOD bless you sunshine.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dando

Hiya guys..

So I was going through my system and I found the Dando pictures I had saved to put up on the blog in December but apparently, I never got around to it *covers face* and it feels like years since I put anything up. I hope you all are doing alright and life is treating you well?
The Dando outreach was a huge success. We went to all the places that we planned to go and everything we took out, food, water and drinks was exhausted completely! Nothing remained! We had over 400 packs of food and drinks and we gave everything out. I can't remember any time that I was more tired than I was on that day but I also can't remember a time that I was happier. That day simply fabulous.

I can't tell too much story but I hope the pictures below would tell the story(they're quite a lot..sorry), enjoy...

L-R Beulah, Ibukun, & Kanyin

L-R Beulah, Ibukun, Kanyin and Busayo
Kitchen Prep
Prayer First
Praying
More praying.. lol
L-R Kolade, Jide, Tayo, Sola, Habeeb, Can't rememb…

Blog Award From Thelma Thinks: Sisterhood Of The World Bloggers

Hiya peeps, How're y'all doing this fine Monday evening? How did last week go? Did you accomplish all you set out to do? My week was very stressful last week, I'm relieving a colleague of mine who's on leave and mehn... its been a lesson in patience and tolerance. My phone rings non stop all day everyday, its crazy. But besides that and the fact that I lost my 91 year old grandpa today, I'm very well.

When Would I Stop Loving My Ex..

Oh my God! It's been so long, I don't even know what to say.. I won't even presume to think that anyone still opens this blog to read.. lol.

Happy new year Sunshine's Musings, it's been a long time. I was talking to Thelma yesterday and accusing her of not posting on her blog for a couple of days now and somehow the conversation turned to my own blog and I had to admit I hadn't even been trying for over a year now. I have to say tho that I didn't think it was going to be this hard...

Anywaiz, I wrote the post below 5 or so months ago and sent it to TTB anonymously but I think I'm at a place where I can share this now..

***